Spring in Hankasalmi, Finland

Finland is known for it’s lakes and trees.  In Hankasalmi, there are a mere 97 lakes.  If you’re thirsty, this could just be the place for you.

My mum being from Finland, we visited there many times when we were younger.

Farm near Lake Niemisjärvi, Hankasalmi, Finland
Farm near Lake Niemisjärvi, Hankasalmi, Finland

This is part of the farm where she grew up, seemingly in the middle of nowhere but on a large lake called Niemisjärvi – try saying that when you’re drunk – where you can swim, row a boat and run across the ice when it’s frozen over.

Where is it exactly?  It’s on Lake Niemisjärvi.  See map below:

More to follow on Finland soon (keeping Mum happy!).  Smiley face.

Advertisements

16 Comments Add yours

1. lovely i went to take one of those today but my dog ran up to greet me and trod on it lol

Liked by 1 person

1. sunburntback says:

Ha ha … dogs only appreciate nature if it involves something that’s moving or that smells if mine is anything to go by!

1. hah yes true or food!

2. I want to visit finland one day. Since I learnt from my general knowledge book – “Finland – The land of thousand lake” and “Norway-The land of midnight sun”. Also I came to learn both these countries are in top 10 happy countries in the world. Its my dream to travel here, and when I will grow older and have money, would love to settle down in Finland probably.

Thanks for the wonderful share 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. sunburntback says:

Yes, during summer it doesn’t really get dark. I’ve never been to Norway but would like to go. Denmark always gets highly rated on the happiest countries, too 🙂

1. Yeah it does too.. 🙂

3. Sally says:

97 lakes? That’s just… Wow. Now I want to visit Finland too!

Liked by 2 people

1. sunburntback says:

And that’s just a small area of Finland … ! It’s beautiful though expensive!

4. alifemoment says:

Nice post, that photo is amazing, really inspiring!! 🙂

5. kbeezyisviral says:

Sounds like 97 lakes of greatness to me. I know where I can fly for an invigorating swim now.

1. sunburntback says:

You’d have a choice of lakes 🙂

1. kbeezyisviral says:

Too many choices. If I could swim in all 97 of them I’d die happy.

6. Vasilis says:

I drove through Jyväskylä a few years ago, on my way to Kuopio and Kuusamo. This is one of the most beautiful areas of Finland. I’d love to visit it again. Greetings to you and your mum from Helsinki!

1. sunburntback says:

It is a beautiful area. Will pass on the greetings to Mum!!